At present there are discussions about an electronic control of the closure and locking of the gas tank lid.
Especially in this dangerous explosive area, Reed Sensors are ideal because they are hermetically sealed and can be specified as intrinsically safe. The actual Reed Switch is mounted in the gas cap while the magnet is mounted in the lid of the gas tank.
If the gas cap is not locked or the gas lid is not closed the Reed Switch is open. The on-board computer monitors the state of the Reed Switch and if it detects an open, locks the ignition system and the vehicle can not be started.
Full Application Write Up Gas Tank Lid Monitoring - Reed Sensor
- The reed switch used in the Reed Sensor is hermetically sealed and is therefore not sensitive to any sparks across the contacts thus they are hermetically sealed from the outside environment
- Ex approved and intrinsically safe available
- The hermetically sealed reed switch is ideally suited for switching low signal level voltages and currents which do not draw an arc
- Magnet and reed sensor are isolated and have no physical contact by typically having the magnet mounted to the lid and the reed sensor mounted on the gas cap
- The magnet is not affected by its environment
- Millions of reliable operations
- Cylindrical hole and screw fastening mounting
- Contacts dynamically tested
- Large sensing distances possible
M04 magnet sold separate
M05 magnet sold
Browse Our Entire List Of Applications Or Search Our Application PDF Library For More Details.