There are a large number of applications requiring the detection of end limit position, where electric shock can be a real concern. Hospital beds, for example, need end position limits when adjusting the bed position. Reed Sensors are ideal in this application because they reliably pass very low level voltages and currents well under any potential power that could cause a shock. Mechanical limit switches have been used successfully in the past, but can fail prematurely because they need a higher level of power to operate properly. Mechanical sensors exposed to the environment will develop film on the contacts. To break through these films, higher switching voltages may be necessary. These higher voltages are not ideal in a hospital bed environment. Now designers have turned to the Reed Sensor which uses hermetically sealed reed switches, which are ideal for switching low signal levels reliably.
Full Application Write UpMobility Equipment & Hospital Beds - Reed Sensor
- Contacts dynamically tested
- Cylindrical panel mount and screw fastening mounting
- Large sensing distances possible
- Magnet and reed sensor are isolated and have no physical contact by typically having the magnet mounted to the piston movement and the reed sensor mounted and positioned to pick on the end limit position(s)
- Millions of reliable operations
- The permanent magnet is not affected by its environment
- The reed switch never comes in contact with the actual movement of the piston
- The reed switch used in the reed sensor is hermetically sealed and is therefore not sensitive to dirty or wet environments
Browse Our Entire List Of Applications Or Search Our Application PDF Library For More Details.