Electric Vehicles (EVs) are becoming a burgeoning market due to various automotive manufacturers utilizing engineering technologies and producing products that provide alternatives to gasoline and diesel based internal combustion engines (ICEs). E-cars mitigate this by utilizing chemical energy that is stored in rechargeable energy packs.
With this, planar magnetics must be able to withstand extreme temperatures, vibrations, and other volatile environments that EV’s may be subjected to. Planar transformers are more prevalent in DC-DC converters, which takes high-voltage (HV) power from the battery and converts it to low-voltage DC, and the EV on-board charger that takes the power from the wall and rectifies it to DC. And it’s not just E-cars where SME can solve problems, but also in the ability to utilize our planar transformer designs in high-power applications for buses and other heavy equipment related markets. Our planar transformers are specifically offered in a wide array of ranges and outputs for this particular reason.
The P220 – P900 planar transformer series, with a combined overall 1kW-30kW power range has transformed the efficiency for resonance chokes, planar power transformers, and planar output chokes in EV DC/DC converters. This supports the transfer of high-voltage 200V-600VDC from battery to low powernet voltage (14VDC) and high-current (100A-250A), power range from 1kW to 10kW providing full-bridge topology operating at a 40-400kHz frequency.
Additionally, we provide planar transformers for use in EV on-board chargers. The power level is typically 3-10kW, with an input voltage of 380Vac, and an output of 204-450Vdc.
Benefits of Planar Technology
- Low package profile relative to wire-wound equivalent
- Low leakage inductance, extremely efficient high-frequency operation, 98-99% to 40 kHz – 500kHz
- Minimum skin effect/flat windings + reduced proximity effect (Low AC losses)
- Excellent repeatability thanks to pre-tooled components
- Easy termination of multiple windings
- Standard outlines compatible with application-specific custom designs
- Lend themselves to sophisticated and effective thermal management
- Volumetric efficiency (small size)
- Low turns count improves Cu loss
- Optimized core cross section lowers core loss
- Large core surface area promotes heat transfer
- Reliable PCB construction
Our custom and standard planars serve a diverse amount of power ranges with low, medium, and high frequencies. Give Standex Electronics a contact today to see how we can partner to develop your EV application solution!
Learn more about our partner, solve, and deliver® approach via customer-focused engineering solutions by clicking here.